This summer Camille Utterback and Romy Achituv’s classic Text Rain installation (1999) will be on view in the Obrestad Lighthouse in Norway as part of On the Edge 2012: Light, Sound, Life. The program will take place in the 7 following lighthouses: Eigerøy, Kvassheim, Obrestad, Feistein, Tungenes, Kvitsøy and Utsira.
Lighthouses have had a vital importance for Rogalands coastline in the previous two centuries. Through the use of LIGHT and SOUND signals, they have ”talked” to the world beyond the shoreline and the lighthouses themselves have functioned as small self-contained communities: in this way can we say that they have shaped and saved LIVES. The exhibitions and events that comprise On The Edge 2012 investigate light, sound and live elements in varying combinations and contexts.
The exhibition will run from June 23 – September 23, 2012.
- Ricardo, Francisco. Literary Art in Digital Performance: Case Studies and Critical Positions. Continuum Press, New York. NY.
- Blair, Elizabeth. “Louisville art hotel offers rooms with a view” Morning Edition, NPR, December 23, 2008
- Mather, Victoria. “The Art of a Hotel Holiday” Vanity Fair, No. 556, December 2006, pg. 156.
- Wong, Nicole. Animatronica. Microwave International Media Art Festival, Hong Kong, China.
- Polk, Molly. Engaging Space. Kidspace at MASS MoCA, North Adams, MA.
- McQuaid, Cate. “Poetry in Virtual Motion at Cyberarts Fest.” The Boston Globe, “Living|Arts” section, May 3, 2001
- D’Amato, Jennie. “All the Right Moves, the Art of Camille Utterback” PDN’s PIX, Vol. 7, Issue 1, February/March 2001
- Komatsuzaki, Takuo. New Media, New Faces, New York. NTT Inter Communication Center, Tokyo, Japan.
- Baker, Kenneth. “Fears, Hopes — Address Unknown.” The San Francisco Chronicle, January 22, 2000
- Video Interview with Smithsonian Magazine
- Watch This! at The Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Patent Pending at the ZERO1 Garage
- Tracing Time/Marking Movement at the Frist Center for Visual Arts
- “Camille Utterback and the Technology of Interactive Art” on The Huffington Post
- Collider 2: Camille Utterback at Emily Davis Gallery, University of Akron, Ohio
- Contemporary Art Center of Virginia Exhibition
- Text Rain on NPR’s Morning Edition