This summer Camille Utterback and Romy Achituv’s classic Text Rain installation (1999) will be on view in the Obrestad Lighthouse in Norway as part of On the Edge 2012: Light, Sound, Life. The program will take place in the 7 following lighthouses: Eigerøy, Kvassheim, Obrestad, Feistein, Tungenes, Kvitsøy and Utsira.
Lighthouses have had a vital importance for Rogalands coastline in the previous two centuries. Through the use of LIGHT and SOUND signals, they have ”talked” to the world beyond the shoreline and the lighthouses themselves have functioned as small self-contained communities: in this way can we say that they have shaped and saved LIVES. The exhibitions and events that comprise On The Edge 2012 investigate light, sound and live elements in varying combinations and contexts.
The exhibition will run from June 23 – September 23, 2012.
- Heibach, Christiane. Materialität und Ereignis. Literaturvermittlung in Ausstellungen, Museen und Archiven [Between Materiality and Event: How to Convey Literature in Museums and Archives]. Klassik Stiftung Weimar, Germany.
- Stern, Nathaniel. Interactive Art and Embodiment: The Implicit Body as Performance. Arts Future Book: Gylphi Limited, Great Britain.
- Ricardo, Francisco. The Engagement Aesthetic: Experiencing New Media Art Through Critique. Bloomsbury, London, England.
- Simonowski, Roberto. Inter- and Transmedial Literature. Rodophi B.V., Amsterdam and New York, NY.
- Ricardo, Francisco. Literary Art in Digital Performance: Case Studies and Critical Positions. Continuum Press, New York. NY.
- Herbst, Claudia. Sexing Code: Subversion, Theory and Representation. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle, UK.
- Mather, Victoria. “The Art of a Hotel Holiday” Vanity Fair, No. 556, December 2006, pg. 156.
- Wong, Nicole. Animatronica. Microwave International Media Art Festival, Hong Kong, China.
- Bolter, Jay David and Diane Gromala. Windows and Mirrors: Interaction Design, Digital Art, and the Myth of Transparency. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Polk, Molly. Engaging Space. Kidspace at MASS MoCA, North Adams, MA.
- McQuaid, Cate. “Poetry in Virtual Motion at Cyberarts Fest.” The Boston Globe, “Living|Arts” section, May 3, 2001
- Video Interview with Smithsonian Magazine
- Watch This! at The Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Patent Pending at the ZERO1 Garage
- Tracing Time/Marking Movement at the Frist Center for Visual Arts
- “Camille Utterback and the Technology of Interactive Art” on The Huffington Post
- Collider 2: Camille Utterback at Emily Davis Gallery, University of Akron, Ohio
- Contemporary Art Center of Virginia Exhibition
- Text Rain on NPR’s Morning Edition